Thank you for agreeing to provide a reference letter in support of an applicant to the 2018 Naktani RIES Fellowship for U.S. Students. Your letter will help us better understand this applicant’s background and interest/motivation in pursuing a research internship experience in Japan.
Reference letters must be submitted by 11:59 PM on January 16, 2018 by 11:59 PM in your local time zone.
Content: To the best of your ability, please address the following in your reference letter:
- The name of the student that you are submitting this reference letter for.
- Your name, professional title, and university/organization.
- How long and in what capacity have you known the applicant?
- The student’s academic background and/or interest in Japan.
- The student’s motivation and/or potential in science and engineering.
- The student’s maturity and ability to work as part of an international and interdisciplinary team.
- The student’s long-term goals and how participation in the Nakatani RIES program will further these goals (if known).
- If the student has previously conducted research in your lab, please also address their prior research performance.
Format: Please compose your reference letter on university or organizational letterhead. Letters must be submitted as either an Adobe PDF document (preferred) or Word document (.doc or .docx).
File Name Format: Please use this format for your file name.
- Student Last Name, Student First Name_Letter_Your Last Name.
- For example, if this is a letter for Jane Doe and it is being submitted by Prof. Junichiro Kono the file name would be: Doe, Jane_Letter_Kono
Submission: Email your completed letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due Date: Reference letters must be submitted by 11:59 PM on January 16, 2018 in your local time zone.
Questions: If you have questions regarding the submission of your recommendation letter please email email@example.com.