The 2016 – 2018 Nakatani RIES Fellowship Program was organized by the Nakatani Foundation and was implemented by the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering at Rice University. 2018 was the last year that Rice University served as the implementing institution for this program and this site is maintained as an archive only. For more information on future years, please consult the Nakatani Foundation’s website directly.
Japanese students are also encouraged to refer to our Other Programs and Funding page for more information on funding and programs for international study and research.
U.S. students are also encouraged to refer to our Other Programs and Funding page for more information on other international research, study, and funding opportunities for science and engineering students. In particular, U.S. students may want to review the following programs that have upcoming deadlines in December or early to-mid-spring.
This information is provided as a resource and does not imply endorsement of these programs by Rice University or any other entity. Program availability, eligibility, and applications deadlines are subject to change and students must carefully review the program website itself for the most current information.
- DAAD RISE: Undergraduate Research Internships in Science & Engineering in Germany (Deadline: Dec. 15)
- DAAD RISE Pro: Graduate Industry Internships in Science & Engineering in Germany (Deadline: Dec. 15)
- Optics in the City of Light REU in France (January 10)
- Tokyo Institute of Technology Summer Research Program in Japan for UG and Grad. Students (Deadline: January 10)
- University of Tokyo School of Science UTRIP Summer Research Program for UGs (Deadline: January 10)
- University of Tokyo Engineering Summer Education Program for UG and Grad. Students (Deadline: January 24)
- Amgen Scholars Research Programs in Asia: Japan, Singapore, and China (Deadline: Feb. 1)
- Amgen Scholars Research Programs in Europe (Deadline: Feb. 1)
- Amgen Scholars Research Program in Canada (Deadline: Feb. 1)
- Amgen Scholars Research Program in Australia (Deadline: Feb. 1)
- NSF Research Experiences for UGs Search: Various Fields including International S&E (Deadlines Vary)
- Okinawa Institute of Science & Technology Research Internship Program (Deadline TBA)
- RIKEN Center for Brain Science Summer Program in Japan (Deadline TBA)
- Scholarships for Study/Research Abroad
- Boren Fellowships for Graduate Students (Deadline: January 30)
- Boren Scholarships for Undergraduates (Deadline: February 7)
- Freeman-Asia Scholarship for UGs: Summer 2019 and AY/Semesters 2019 – 2020 (Deadline: April 5)
- Gilman Scholarships for UG Study Abroad: Summer 2019 and Fall 2019/AY 2019-2020 (Deadline: March 5)